If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to stream some content on your computer with your friends. The fastest and easiest way is to use VLC and Discord. This will allow you to stream whatever you’re playing in VLC directly to Discord. Sadly, it just doesn’t work with the default settings so you’ll need to make some small tweaks to get it working.
Discord is the most popular messaging and gaming client available today, while VLC Media Player is the most popular and reliable media player available today. Since most people already have VLC installed on their computer to watch a range of different content. Along with Discord, it makes sense to use both pieces of software from time to time.
Using Discord and VLC you can quickly and easily stream content with your friends or a group of people on the server. It’s a really simple process that allows everyone to watch the same content at the same time while being able to chat and communicate with each other in real-time. So how do you start using it?
Table of Contents
How do you stream VLC over Discord? The Best way to stream movies to friends is with Discord.
To begin streaming VLC over Discord, you’ll need to first configure Discord to work with other programs that aren’t games. Before you start the steps shown below, make sure the program, app, or browser you want to add is running.
- To do this open Discord and sign in to your account. When you have Discord open click the Settings icon to the right of your Username at the bottom of the screen.
- This will take you to a new screen where you will need to click Registered Games near the bottom of the left-hand panel.
- In the new window click Add it! option and select VLC Media Player from the list. You’ll need to have VLC open for it to appear here. This will allow you to stream VLC over Discord to your chosen server etc.
- Now simply enter a server that you want to stream to then click the Stream to icon next to VLC in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
- A new pop-up will appear where you will need to choose the audio channel and video quality settings.
- Everything is locked to 720p unless you have a subscription to Discord.
That’s it, now you can stream content from VLC to Discord. Alternatively, you can also use this process with internet browsers to stream content from Netflix, HBO Max, Disney Plus, etc. You just need to add your internet browser, and then disable hardware acceleration in your browser. If you’re interested, you can check out the process below. Otherwise, it wraps another guide.
How do you turn off Hardware Acceleration in Google Chrome?
To disable Hardware Acceleration in Google Chrome, open Chrome, then go to Settings > Advanced settings. Then untick the Use hardware acceleration when available near the bottom of the page.
How do you turn off Hardware Acceleration in Firefox?
To disable Hardware Acceleration in Firefox, open Firefox and go to Options > General, then untick the Use recommended performance setting and untick Use hardware acceleration when available option when it appears below.
How do you turn off Hardware Acceleration in Microsoft Edge?
To disable Hardware Acceleration in Edge, open Edge, go to Settings > System, then flip the Use hardware acceleration when available toggle to Off (grey).